Ah, welcome, Honorable Customer. Welcome to Bast!'s Ranma Page, Legendary Ground of Accursed Fanfics.
For the uninformed: Ranma 1/2 is a manga series, written and drawn by Takahashi Rumiko. It mixes the elements of a martial arts adventure series with those of a romantic comedy and covers 38 volumes of about 180 pages each. The characters are very simple and archetypical in their makeup, thus traversing cultural barriers easily and inspiring the more creative fans to play with these characters in the form of Fan Fiction. This series awakened my interest in Manga and Japanese Culture in general.
Fanfic stories by yours truly:
- "Ranma In Love! Can Akane Cope?" (also known as "Kodachi's Potion")
- "A Guided Tour" is a short piece that just jumped at me one day.
- "The fanfic for you" is just silly.
- "Ranko 1/2" has its own list here.
- "Female Fiancées' Fun" is a LEMON fic. (i.e. adult content)
- "Broken Things" was my first attempt at a 'darkfic'.
- "The Understudy" is my answer to all those writers who never use Konatsu.
- "The Voice of Experience" earned me the appellation "you sneaky bugger" from Mike W. Loader, who is an accomplished fic writer himself.
- "The Touch of Cold Water" is a short, slightly dark piece about a Ranma who has lost something important to him.
- "Surprise Guest" is another takeoff on self-insertion fics.
- Ukyou & Kodachi, Freelance Martial Artists is what you get when you read Ranma ½ and Sam & Max too late in the evening.
- "Weak Excuse" is a somewhat angsty fic based on the ending of the Hiryuu Shouten Ha storyline.
- "Gotta Wonder" is just a tiny spamfic.
- "Technical Virginity" is another LEMON that is set in Richard Lawson's "Thy Outward Part" continuity. You would have to read his fics first to understand this one (See below).
- I have even done some Filk Songs. God help me.
- Self-Insertion and Mary-Sue-ism is not a fanfic, but an essay on the relation between, well, self-insertion and Mary-Sue-ism.
- All I no about righting English I learned on the Internet! is not exactly an essay, but a hopefully humorous look at some of the common... excrescences of the English language, found on the internet.
- NEW! The Akane Behaviour Reference List is an effort at listing every action Akane has ever taken for or against Ranma - not arguments, not disagreements, no shouting matches, and no slapstick nonsense; only solid, definite actions taken by her in opposition or support of Ranma. Of course, this will not actually settle anything, but I hope it will provide a much needed resource to those who wish to argue the case.
Fanfic stories by people I know:
- Richard Lawson's Fanfics are outstanding examples of what a melodramatic wuss can achieve if he happens to be one of the damn best writers under the sun. ;) Extremely good stuff that has moved me to tears time and again.
- Zen's fics are rare gems. Rare because he hardly ever comes forward with one. Nevertheless, what he has written so far is heavy stuff. He may write as fast as a speeding glacier, but his writing is just as strong as one. He seems to like Ukyou. :)
- Nicholas Leifker is yet another writer of deep stories who goes for the quality approach in writing. His works tend towards the darker side of the emotional spectrum sometimes. In other words: Angst, Angst, Angst. :)
- Greg Sandborn does seem to have a little faible for Tendou Nabiki. Clues: lotsa pictures of the beautiful mercenary of mammon, and his main body of work revolves around the middle Tendou Daughter. He's also written a host of other weirdness that probably seemed funny at the time. ;)
- Sean Gaffney actually writes fics about other series', too. <GASP> How dare he? Well, he's allowed because the result is usually so captivating that he manages to keep me reading, even though I mostly have no clue about the background of the characters. Sounds like good writing to me.
- Kun-chan writes... interesting stories. She is best known for her series of fics that neatly pairs off just about every person in the whole series. "My, how original," I hear you say. Well, it was, when she wrote this. The distinguishing quality, though, is the fact that her fics contain many nice lemon (i.e. adult) scenes that segue flawlessly with the plot and showcase that "Lemon" does not equal "Shoddily written". Incidentally, she is also the high priestess of the Church of Ryouga (Praise be unto His name).
If you liked my Ranma fanfics, you might also be interested in the Anime Addventure which I host and moderate.
Back to my Homepage.
You can email me if you have got any opinions about the structure of this page or its contents. My address is firstname.lastname@example.org